This Avocado and Pumpkin salad is very simple to prepare and is absolutely delicious! Add chicken to make a healthy meal or serve as a side dish at your next BBQ.
- Characterised by a bulb shaped bottom.
- Slightly narrower neck.
- Roast beautifully.
- There is no need to peel.
100g of Butternut Pumpkin yields the following:
- Calories – 45
- Total Carbs – 9% of DV
- Protein – 1g
- Dietary Fibre – 5% of DV
- Vitamin A – 354% of DV
- Vitamin C – 35% of DV
- Calcium – 5% of DV
- Iron – 9% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- Check for a smooth, uniformly coloured skin; the flesh should be firm.
- Knock on the shell – ripe pumpkins will make a “hollow” sound.
- Look for a pumpkin that is completely orange, because partially green pumpkins might not ripen any further.
- Pumpkins should store for a considerable time (many weeks) if kept in a cool dry place.
- However, once cut a pumpkin should be kept in the refrigerator with the seeds removed.
- It may be cooked with skin on or off.