- Lychee are oval to round in shape and up to 5cm in diameter.
- The Lychee flesh is sweet yet tangy.
- The outer red skin is peeled off to reveal the edible semi translucent flesh, which has a one seed inside.
- Peel off the skin before eating and suck the flesh from the seed.
- Lychees are the perfect addition to salads or desserts.
Lychee are a good source of vitamin C and dietary fibre.
100g of lychee yields the following:
- Calories – 66
- Total Carbs – 6% of DV
- Protein – 0.83g
- Dietary Fibre – 5% of DV
- Vitamin C – 119% of DV
- Iron – 2% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- The lychee is ripe when the inedible outer skin turns from green to red or pink-red in colour.
- Once picked, the lychee does not continue to ripen.
- Keep fresh fruit in a plastic container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
- Room temperature for 2-3 days.
- Peeled lychees can be stored in the freezer.