Everyone likes strawberries! They’re sweet, they’re small and strawberry flavoured foods are also always a winner! But what do you actually know about these bite-sized superfoods? We are here to shed light on some strawberry facts!
1. Strawberries are the only fruit to wear their seeds on the outside!
Can you believe there are about 200 seeds on a single strawberry?!
2. Strawberries aren’t actually berries.
Technically, to be classified as a berry, the seeds need to be on the INSIDE.
3. Belgium have a museum dedicated to strawberries.
Called the Le Musee de la Fraise, (The Strawberry Museum), you can buy strawberry everything, even strawberry beer!
4. The ancient Romans thought strawberries had medicinal powers.
Strawberries were used to treat everything from depression, to fevers and even bad breath!
5. They are believed to help reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
They are super low in calories and high in vitamins C, B6, K, fiber, folic acid, potassium and amino acids.
6. Rinsing strawberries actually makes them spoil sooner
You should wait until you’re just about to eat your strawberries before washing them, as well as cutting the stem straight away!
7. Strawberries can actually be pickled!
This works well if your strawberries are green or unripe!
8. The strawberry plant is a perennial.
This means that if you plant one now, it will remain productive for about 5 years.
9. Strawberries are actually apart of the rose family.
This is super crazy, but very true! It is said that if you come across a strawberry bush, it’ll smell a little like a rose!
10. Strawberries contain a high level of nitrate.
This has been shown to increase blood and oxygen flow to muscles. If you load up on strawberries before a workout, you’ll have more endurance and burn more calories.
How many of these did you know? Who would’ve thought the humble strawberry would have so many lesser known sweet facts?!