Beat the winter blues by warming up to a bowl of Spicy Choko Soup!
If you’re looking for a delicious way to boost your heart health then perhaps consider adding beetroot as part of your regular diet. This colourful root vegetable is bursting with antioxidants, in particular contains the antioxidant betacyanin which is super important for maintaining a healthy heart. Studies also suggest that beetroots can assist with healthy blood pressure as well as widening and dilating arteries.
Beetroots offer a unique, earthy flavour to your dish and can be a very versatile vegetable. Serve them up raw, pickled, roasted or boiled, there are so many options with how you can incorporate this amazing veggie in to your daily diet.
- 300 grams Lean beef, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Lg Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Lg Onions, sliced
- 1 Lt Beef Stock
- 500 ml Water
- ¼ Cup Tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Cup Beetroot, coarsely grated
- 2 Cup Cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 Cup Carrots, coarsely grated
- ¾ Cup Celery, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dried dill
- ½ tsp Caraway seeds
- 1 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 – 4 Tbsp Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Natural yogurt, (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat, add beef and brown on all sides. Add the onion and garlic, continue to cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add beef stock, water, tomato paste, salt and pepper, bring to boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the lemon juice and yogurt, and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Just prior to serving, add fresh lemon juice to taste and adjust salt and pepper seasonings if required. Discard bay leaves before serving.
- Divide the soup amongst serving bowls and top with a little natural yogurt if you wish.
Natural yogurt, (optional)