Add an extra umami boost to the classic Vietnamese dish of Pho by blending 25% Mushrooms + 75% Mince!?
This recipe was created by Blenditarian
- 125g mushrooms, grated
- 375g beef mince
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Thai basil, leaves chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 L beef bone broth or beef stock
- 4 slices ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 white onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 star anise
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 x 375g packet rice stick noodles
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 bunch Thai basil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- Chilli sauce, optional
- Hoisin sauce, optional
- Add the ingredients for the meatballs to a large bowl. Mix to combine then roll into 12 meatballs. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Combine the ingredients for the broth in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Gently lower meatballs into the simmering broth and allow to poach for 7-10 minutes. Remove the meatballs from the broth with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Strain the broth to remove the flavour adding ingredients. Reserve the broth.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the rice stick noodles and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- To assemble the pho, divide the rice noodles between four bowls. Top with meatballs then pour the broth into each bowl.
- Top with bean sprouts, thai basil leaves and shallots. Serve with a wedge of lime, chilli slices and sauces if using.