The anchovy covered macadamias bring an exciting element to this one pan dish and are a must for anchovy lovers. If you’re not a fan, you can leave them out and still enjoy the beautiful buttery crunch of the macadamias.
Recipe supplied by Australian Macadamias
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 8 small tomatoes, halved
- 400g tin whole tomatoes
- 10 green olives, pitted
- 1 tbsp capers
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1-2 anchovies, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup macadamia pieces
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet and brown the chicken pieces on both sides over medium heat until golden. Set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the oil from the pan and return the pan to the heat.
- Add the onion and cook over a medium low heat for 5-6 minutes, until softened and slightly caramelised. Return the chicken to the pan. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over a medium heat for 25 minutes, occasionally turning the chicken thighs and until the tomatoes start to break apart and soften.
- Meanwhile, stir together the anchovies, garlic and extra teaspoon of olive oil so that it forms a paste. Stir in the macadamias so that they are evenly covered. After 25 minutes, sprinkle the macadamias over the top of the chicken (avoid losing any in the juice) and place in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the macadamias are golden. Serve immediately.