There is one thing more comforting than those warm and cosy pyjamas you’re giving mum this Mother’s day and it’s not the fluffy slippers to match. It is these delicious Mother’s Day Mini Pot Pies, the ultimate comfort food and the perfect way to show Mum just how much you love her.
This recipe does call for a Pie Maker (yes a pie maker would make a great Mother’s Day gift too), however it can be made quite easily as a large pot pie using a conventional oven.
- 500 grams Chicken breast fillets, diced
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Cups Chicken stock
- 2 Med Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 50 grams Celery, finely chopped
- 150 grams Green beans, finely chopped
- 150 grams Corn kernels, cut fresh off the cob
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Cup Milk, of choice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 100 grams Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 sheets Puff pastry
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- Heat the olive oil in a fry pan over medium to high heat and cook the diced chicken until done.
- Add the potatoes and celery to a medium to large saucepan adding enough stock to just cover the vegetables (approx. 2 cups), bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain and return to put, stirring in the mixed the beans and corn and then set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat then add the flour stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add in the milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the cooked chicken, vegetable mixture, white sauce, and sliced mushrooms in a large bowl.
- Prepare a pie maker according to operating instructions.
- Lightly grease each pie cup and line with some puff pastry cutting it to size.
- Fill each pie shell ¾ full with the chicken and vegetable filling. Top with more of the puff pastry cut to size, brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cook according to operating instructions.
If you do not have a pie maker, simply make a large chicken pot pie by lining a large pie dish with the puff pastry, adding the filling and another sheet of pastry on top. You will then need to bake in a moderate oven for 30 – 45 minutes or until pastry is puffed, cooked through and golden brown.