These cauliflower steaks are really easy to do in the oven and make for a delicious plant-based meal that’s light and satisfying! The fresh pear salad, roast onions and herbs all come together perfectly.
This recipe was made in collaboration with our friend Chef Tom Walton!
- 2 medium cauliflowers
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt, fresh ground black pepper
- 2 brown onions, unpeeled, cut in half lengthways
- 2 ripe pears – Beurre bosc or William variety
- 1/3 cup toasted pepita seeds
- Handful each mint and dill, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon
- Extra virgin oil to dress the salad
- Greek style natural yoghurt, to serve (skip this for a vegan option or use a vegan alternative)
- Preheat an oven to 220C
- Cut about 3cm off the ends off each cauliflower – using for the cauliflower and pear soup in – and then cut the centre piece in half lengthways so you have two cauliflower steaks held together by the core of the cauliflower.
- Place these onto a baking tray and brush both sides of the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush the onions cut side with olive oil and season lightly then place onto the same or a second lined baking tray, cut side down.
- Roast these for approx. 30-35 minutes until the cauliflower steaks are golden, soft and the onions are soft. Keep warm
- When the cauliflower is almost ready, cut the pear into thin strips and combine with the seeds, herbs, a good squeeze of lemon, a splash of olive oil and season to taste.
- Carefully transfer the cauliflower steaks to a platter or individual plates and serve with the roast onions, pear salad and some natural yoghurt if desired. A simple grain and herb salad would also be lovely with this if you wanted