Soups are ideal dinners on cold winter nights, warming and filling without being too heavy. We all have our tried and true favourites, but by the end of winter, they can get a tad tired. The delicate earthy flavours of…
When the weather cools down, there’s nothing better than a warm bowl of soup. And it doesn’t get more classic than a roasted tomato soup (with a cheese toasty on the side!)
Both kids and parents will love this dish.
- Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan-forced. Place the tomatoes on a baking tray. Drizzle tomatoes with half the oil and top with basil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for15to 20 minutes or until tender.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom saucepan or pot. Add onion, garlic and potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and sugar. Stir in stock and 1 cup water. Cover.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.
- Add tomato to the soup mixture.
- Carefully blend soup until smooth. Sprinkle with basil.
- Serve soup with crusty bread or a grilled cheese toastie.