If you’re feeling a little fancy this Christmas, why not indulge in fresh Southern Rock Lobster with in-season Truss tomatoes!
Recipe provided by Masani
- From the fishmonger, place the lobster in a large bowl of water, allowing the lobster to pass peacefully in the fresh water. You can keep the tap water running over it on low for about 10-15 min.
- Take a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Salt lightly. As the water boils, fill up a large bowl with tap water and ice
- Boil the lobster for 5 min in the salted water, then dunk immediately in the ice bath.
- When cooled, remove the head and clean out the innards. Wash the flesh of the tail with cold water. Clean the legs and remove the flesh from inside, using a walnut cracker is advised.
- The flesh should be firm, tender and white, but not clear.
- Cut the lobster in half with a serrated knife, mindful that the shell can make the knife slip away easily. Place the lobster half on a plate until service. Edge away the flesh with a spoon and sure it comes out of the shell.
- Keep the leftover shell for fish stock.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
- Place the tomatoes on a baking tray, leave on the vine. Douse with generous amounts of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven. Cook for 10-15 min until tender. The skin should blister slightly.
- Zest and juice one lemon, set aside. Clean the parsley and remove the stalks. Roughly chop and set aside. Finely chop the garlic clove.
- Add all the ingredients to the olive oil and shake well. Season with salt and pepper
- Remove the lobster tail and slice medallions along its length.
- Place the lobster tail back into the shell and spoon over the dressing, serve on a large platter aside the truss tomatoes and some crusty sourdough bread.