Love a hearty Ragu? This Blended Pork, Veal and Mushroom Blended Ragu with Creamy Polenta is sure to hit the spot!
This recipe is made with 50% Mushrooms + 50% Pork and Veal mince for a healthy twist on a classic meat dish.
Meet the Blend: Pork, Veal and Mushroom Blended Ragu with Creamy Polenta.
- 300g pork mince
- 300g veal mince
- 600g white button mushrooms, finely diced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- 250ml red wine
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1.5 litres tomato passata
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 litre good-quality chicken stock or milk
- 150g fine polenta
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp sage, chopped
- 150g grated parmesan
- pinch of salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunch basil, leaves picked
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- To make the ragu, use a large heavy based saucepan and add the olive oil along with the garlic, onion, celery, carrots and sauté until the onion and celery become slightly translucent.
- Blend together the pork mince, veal mince and diced mushrooms and add to the pot. Separate the mince as it cooks through.
- Add the passata, chicken stock and red wine, along with the herbs and bring to a quick simmer.
- When the ragu is nearly ready, it’s time to make the polenta. Heat the oil or butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sweat gently for 5 minutes, until they are soft, but not coloured. Add the stock to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Pour in the polenta in a slow steady stream, whisking all the vigorously until the mixture begins to boil, then lower the heat to a brisk simmer. Cook for 5 – 10 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon from time to time, until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth and creamy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chopped herbs and cheese. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary – you may find the cheese is salty enough.
- Serve straight away – place the polenta around the bowl and spoon the ragu in the centre. Sprinkle with fresh basil and parsley.
WIN a Weber Family Q® Premium BBQ – Thanks to The Blend!
With Summer upon us, there is nothing better than having your friends and family around for blended burgers on the BBQ. The Weber Q® is an Aussie backyard icon, with plenty of room to chargrill a blended BBQ feast for the whole family.