Bring colour to your table with this quick and easy salad that pops with flavour. The cool fresh tastes from the herbs to the earthy sweet flavours from the carrots and beetroot are sure to impress any crowd. This salad…
- Small onions with red to deep red coloured skin.
- Flesh is white with red rings.
- Also called Spanish or salad onions.
- Will not store as long as brown onions.
- Very sweet – can be eaten raw.
- Not all red onions are mild – some varieties can be quite hot (pungent).
- Good in salads, or in cooking.
- Common varieties grown in Australia are Red Marksman, Oaklands Red and Calabrese.
- Available: all year.
100g of Spanish Onion yields the following:
- Calories – 42
- Total Carbs – 3% of DV
- Protein – 0.92g
- Dietary Fibre – 6% of DV
- Vitamin C – 11% of DV
- Calcium – 2% of DV
- Iron – 1% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Choose Spanish onions which are clean and have dry skin that is almost paper-like in its crispness. They should feel heavy and firm without any cuts in the surface.