Avocado boats are quickly gaining popularity and for good reason. Not only do they provide a creative and impressive way to serve salads they also provide a nutritional boost to the dish.
Avocados are well known for its high nutritional profile along with being low in carbohydrates and high in healthy fats, which sets it apart from most other fruits. Many vitamins and minerals are found in avocadoes, and are particularly rich in vitamins K, C, B5, B6 and E along with being high in folate and potassium.
This recipe is a perfectly balanced meal offering a quality serve of lean protein, complex carbohydrates and a serve of healthy fats, enjoy this meal either as a light lunch or as a side dish.
- In large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, salt, and nutmeg, mix well.
- Add the remaining the ingredients except the avocado. Mix well ensuring all ingredients are evenly coated in the dressing. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Just prior to serving, cut each of the avocados in half lengthways, remove and discard the seed.
- Scoop out a little of the avocado flesh if you would prefer to have more of the filling served inside your” avocado boat”. If you like dice any flesh you have removed from the avocado shell and toss it through the salad (or reserve for another dish like an avocado dip).
- Scoop the salad in to the centre of each avocado half and season with a little salt if you think it is required.