Have you ever tried a tamarillo? We recommend poaching them as an introduction to this unique fruit!
Poached tamarillos are delicious served on top of pancakes or simply with a dollop of cream or ice cream!
- Cut a cross in each tamarillo. Blanch tamarillos in boiling water for 30 seconds then refresh in cold water.
- Peel off the skins and slice each tamarillo into 1cm slices. Set aside.
- Scrape the seeds of the vanilla pod into a saucepan. Add the pod, sugar, water and honey into the saucepan. Stir ingredients over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Once dissolved, increase the heat and simmer uncovered, for five minutes. Add the tamarillo slices and simmer for another two minutes. Allow to cool in syrup.
- Serve poached tamarillos on top of porridge or pancakes with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of cream.
Note: Do not cut tamarillos on a wooden or other permeable surface, as the juice will make an indelible stain.