Hone your risotto making skills with this delicious capsicum and baby broccoli recipe!
- In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable stock over medium heat. Once simmering, reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- In the meantime, heat a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add half of the oil and the baby broccoli, and the capsicum. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté until just tender and slightly browned – 3-4 minutes – stirring frequently. Cover to steam and speed cooking time. Remove from pan, uncover, and set aside.
- Heat another large rimmed pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the remaining oil and shallots. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or until softened and very slightly browned.
- Add arborio rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Then add ¼ cup stock and stir gently. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Using a ladle, add warmed vegetable broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring almost constantly, giving the risotto little breaks to come back to a simmer. The heat should be medium, and there should always be a slight simmer.
- Continue to add vegetable broth 1 ladle at a time, stirring to incorporate, until the rice is “al dente.”
- Once the rice is cooked through and al dente, remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Also add parmesan cheese and most of the cooked vegetables, reserving a few for serving.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding a pinch of salt and pepper to taste or more parmesan to enhance the cheesiness.
- To serve, top with remaining vegetables, and additional parmesan cheese.