2 hours 30 mins
We’re all about winter warmers at the moment and our new Beef Pot Pie is no exception! It’s hearty and packed with delicious vegetables like carrot, peas, potato and broccoli. This one will put a smile on the whole family’s face at dinnertime!
- 1.5 kg beef sirloin, sliced into 2cm chunks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup green beans, roughly chopped
- 1 large white potato, diced
- ¼ head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
- ½ cup peas
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 sheets of puff pastry
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over a high heat and add 2 ½ tbs olive oil.
- Add the beef to the pot, cooking in batches until the beef is browned. Once done, remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add another tbsp of olive oil, then add in the onion, potato and carrots. Cook for 5-7 mins until the vegetables start to soften and begin to brown. Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant.
- Stir the flour through the vegetables, then return the meat to the pot and stir to combine.
- Pour in the tomatoes, beef stock, Dijon mustard and sugar. Season with salt and pepper, stir to combine then cover with a lid.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 90 mins or until the beef is almost entirely soft.
- Remove the lid, add in the broccoli, green beans, and peas, then allow to simmer for another 30 mins until the beef is very tender and the sauce has reduced.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Transfer the mixture to a deep casserole/baking dish. If you feel like there’s too much sauce, you can use only half of it.
- Top the contents with a sheet or two of puff pastry (depending on the size of your baking dish), or you could use shortcrust pastry if you prefer. Crimp the edges, make a few slits into the top of the pastry to act as vents and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 20-25 mins or until the pastry is golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 mins before serving.