If you’re going a little more “fancy” this Mother’s Day, we have the dish for you. This delicate crab and grapefruit salad is a flavour sensation. There is minimal effort required to make this salad, however it really is a…
Are you getting together for a Mother’s Day lunch this Sunday? We have the perfect salad to serve up, bright in colour and full of wonderful flavours and textures, this salad is sure to leave a lasting impression.
Cooking the beets with the spices is what makes this beet salad stand out from the rest. The subtle hint of the cloves and all spice balances the flavours perfectly while the grapefruit and pomegranate brings this salad alive with pops of zing.
- 2 Beetroots, peeled
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4 Whole cloves
- 4 Whole allspice
- 1 Grapefruit, segmented
- ½ Cup Sundried tomatoes, oil free
- ½ Cup Walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/3 Cup Blue cheese, (or feta if preferred) crumbled
- ¼ Cup Pomegranate arils
- 2 – 3 Cup Baby beet leaves, (or salad greens of choice)
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- Cook the beetroots in a saucepan of boiling water with the bay leaves, cloves and allspice until beetroot is tender.
- Remove the saucepan from heat, drain and set the cooked beets aside to cool. Once cool, cut in to either wedges or cubes.
- Add all salad ingredients (without the beets) to a large salad bowl and toss together.
- Gently toss in the cooked beets (don’t overdo it as you will turn the salad red) and then drizzle over the olive oil.
- Serve immediately.