This irresistible dessert features a luscious combination of apples, pears, and rhubarb, topped with a golden, crunchy crumble. Recipe written by Luke Croston
A true one-pan wonder, this braised chicken with KANZI® apples, sweet leek and thyme is the ultimate comfort food for autumn. A warming dish packed with flavour thanks to the tangy sweetness of the KANZI® apples, it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser as the weather gets cooler.
Recipe provided by KANZI®
- Add the thinly sliced leeks and a good drizzle of olive oil to a large braising pan or frypan (cast iron is ideal).
- Sauté over medium heat while stirring to prevent the leeks from burning.
- Once they have softened, add the thinly sliced fennel and stir through for a further 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add another good drizzle of olive oil to the pan (without cleaning it), followed by the chicken thighs sliced in half.
- Lightly brown on each side, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the sliced apples to the same pan along with the white wine and fresh thyme leaves.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the flavours from the chicken browning
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes then add the chicken, leek and fennel back into the pan.
- Place the lid on and turn down the heat to a low to medium simmer for 30-40 minutes, gently stirring and scraping the base every 10 minutes. A little water can be added if it becomes too dry.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot on its own or with a side of mashed potatoes.
TIP: The healthiest way to eat a KANZI® apple is skin and all. A lot of the goodness in apples is found close to the skin – including antioxidants, fibre and polyphenols. The two-toned red and yellow skin also adds a bright burst of autumnal colour to this dish.