All Year, Autumn, Winter
Looking for a delicious and easy dessert option that’s great for both young and old? Crispy, fresh apples make the best treat in this simple recipe that is also great served with ice-cream or yoghurt!
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk milk, egg yolk and melted butter together.
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients: 2 tbsp caster sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and gradually add the egg mixture, whisk until smooth.
- Pour 5- 7cm of oil into a large pot or Dutch oven and heat over medium to high heat to 200 degrees.
- Prepare apples and drizzle with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- To make the cinnamon sugar combine ¼ cup of caster sugar with the cinnamon and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat 2 eggs with an electric beater or whisk until peaks form but are not too stiff. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter to combine.
- Dip the apple slices in the batter one at a time allowing the excess to drip off.
- Fry in hot oil approx 2 minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Only fry small batches at a time to avoid the oil cooling and fritters sticking together.
- Remove cooked fritters with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar and serve warm.
- These are great on their own or served with good-quality vanilla ice cream.