Boy have we got a treat for you – another slow cooker recipe to add to the list! This Slow Cooker Chicken Massaman Curry is guaranteed to be a hit with your tastebuds.
This Moroccan dish is bursting with flavour and is an absolute must have this winter. Traditionally cooked in a Tagine (a clay vessel with a cone shaped lid), we have made it a little easier and adapted the recipe to be cooked in a Dutch oven, (you can use a large frying pan also).
A winter warming, nourishing meal that is definitely worthy of cooking to impress a crowd, yet simple enough to throw together for an easy and delicious family meal. Serve on top of your choice of steamed rice, couscous or cooked quinoa.
- 1 Kg Chicken thigh fillets, skinless and boneless
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 800 grams Eggplant
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Cup Onions, peeled and diced
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 Cup Chicken stock, low sodium
- 1 ½ Cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 Turnip
- 1 med Zucchini
- 1 Carrot
- ½ Red capsicum
- 3 med Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into 1″ cubes, sprinkle generously with salt and lay out on wire rack for 20 minutes, then drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile cut chicken into large cubes. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in 6 – 8 litre Dutch oven and sauté the chicken until opaque on both sides (a few minutes). Set aside.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat again in the Dutch oven, (no need to clean it, keep any chicken juices in there).
- Add onion, garlic, and eggplant. Sauté over low heat until onion is just tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Add stock, cinnamon, curry powder, cumin, turmeric, and black pepper. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Peel turnip and dice the turnip, along with dicing the zucchini, carrot, and bell pepper.
- Add the chicken and diced vegetables to Dutch oven.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Dice the tomatoes and add them to the pan along with the raisins, and parsley, pushing down lightly to be sure ingredients are covered by liquid, (adding a more liquid if necessary). Simmer covered for 15 minutes more.
- Serve hot in deep soup bowls on top of rice, noodles, or couscous, garnishing with a little fresh coriander.