Deliciously moist with juicy pieces of fresh cherries dotted throughout, this Choc-Cherry olive oil bundt cake is a must-try for any cherry and chocolate lover. Cherry season is such an exciting time, for many of us, it is synonymous with the festive season. This Choc-Cherry bundt cake packs an extra cherry punch with a tart Cherry glaze and plenty of chocolate chips. It makes a gorgeous cake for any celebration and is so easy to make it could even serve as a tea-cake.
- 2 ⅓ cups fresh pitted cherries + extra whole cherries for decoration
- 1 ½ cups mini milk chocolate chips
- 2 ¾ cups plus 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 ⅓ cups caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup milk, dairy or plant-based
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 to 3 tbsp cherry syrup or juice
- Pinch of salt
- Milk as needed for consistency
- Pre-heat oven to 180C with rack in the centre position,
- Oil a nonstick 12-cup bundt cake pan and lightly dust it with flour.
- Toss the cherries in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons of flour and tap off any excess.
- Whisk together the remaining flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and drizzle in the oil in a thin stream until emulsified. Stir in the milk and extract.
- Pour the egg mixture over the flour mixture, stirring until the batter is just smooth and no flour is visible. Gently fold in the cherries and chocolate chips.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and bake 50-55 minutes, the cake should be golden brown, a skewer inserted in the middle should come out dry.
- Cool the cake in the pan 20 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cake has completely cooled, combine icing sugar, butter, juice or syrup and salt until smooth, add milk if the mixture is too thick. Once desired consistency is reached, slowly pour over the cake allowing the glaze to run down the sides.
- Top with fresh cherries and choc chips if desired.