Sunday Brunch made easy! This one pan egg veg brunch dish is simple to prepare, vegetarian friendly, and a healthy breakfast for all the family!
Dark chocolate, chilli powder and cinnamon add heat and wonderful depth of flavour to this simple pumpkin stew. Chickpeas add protein and fibre, while making this dish extra hearty. Serve over rice or quinoa with a generous topping of fresh parsley.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups (600g) pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 800g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 1.5 teaspoons dark chocolate, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions and garlic and cook until fragrant and the onions are softened (about 5 minutes). Add the pumpkin, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, chilli powder, worcestershire sauce and tomato paste and stir to combine. Next, stir in the diced tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the pumpkin is fully cooked and the liquid has reduced.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chickpeas and grated chocolate.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with cooked rice or quinoa and a topping of fresh parsley.
Notes | Acorn, butternut or kabocha squash can be substituted for pumpkin in this recipe. If you prefer less, heat, reduce the amount of chilli powder by half.