We are so excited about pear season, and we’re taking advantage of the fact it ties right in with Easter! For those that are not all that in to chocolates, how about trying this delicious ginger and pear cake!? Super…
Take a break from chocolate this holiday and enjoy a healthier version of apple pie. This festive dessert features seasonal apples simmered with sugar and cinnamon and topped with whole wheat pastry crumbs and vanilla yoghurt.
A pair of pastry bunny ears make this extra special for the little ones!
- APPLE FILLING
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- Plain or vanilla yoghurt (or whipped cream)
For the Pastry
- Preheat oven to 230C. In a large bowl, sift together the flours and salt. Stir in the olive oil and water and work the dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to ¼ inch thick and place on a parchment lined baking tray. Cut out 8 small bunny ear shapes and place on the baking tray to beside of the rest of the pastry.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Break the cooled pastry (except the ears) into small pieces. Set aside.
For the Apple Filling
- To a large bowl, add the diced apples, flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir until the apples are evenly coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add the apple mixture and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sugar has started to melt. Add the water and cover the pan for 5 minutes to allow the apples to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the warm apple mixture to the bottom of 4 heat proof cups.
- Top with pastry pieces, yoghurt and bunny ears. Enjoy!
Notes | because the pastry is going to be broken into pieces, there is no need to roll it perfectly.