This homemade jam is super easy to make and has a delicious unique taste, not quite like other classic jams such as strawberry or raspberry. This jam in our opinion is quite “fancy” and tastes equally as amazing lathered on fresh scones and toast or paired with cheese and crackers.
This condiment will be perfect this Valentine’s Day as a super special addition to either breakfast in bed or perhaps a picnic with cheese platter and bubbles under a starry sky. Either way, go grab some fresh figs, that happen to be in abundance at the moment and enjoy making this simple jam for your loved ones (or your own guilty pleasure).
Makes 2 – 4 jars.
- Add the figs, sugar and lemon juice to a medium to large saucepan, bring to a boil for 5 to 7 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved. Stir occasionally, ensuring the bottom does not stick.
- Remove from heat, set aside and allow to stand overnight, (covered).
- Stir in the gelatine and then add back to stovetop. Bring to a boil again, for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Boil again for 3 to 4 minutes (or until gelatine is fully dissolved), stirring occasionally.
- Pour quickly into clean, dried glass jars and seal at once with a pressure seal lid. The heat from the jam will pressure seal them and extend the shelve life of your jam.
Store in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator, to be used within a month.