Mix up your meals with our Chinese-inspired mandarin orange chicken. The zesty kick will have you drooling for more. ?
Just because it’s spring doesn’t mean we have to say goodbye to comfort food. These Lamb Shanks with Potato Mash are absolutely drool worthy, and feature Carrots, Celery and Herbs from your local Fruit and Veg shop!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- ½ brown onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp sage, minced
- 2 tsp thyme, minced + more for garnish
- 1 tsp rosemary, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Potato mash, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160˚C.
- Place a 5L Dutch oven over a medium-high heat and heat the olive oil. Generously season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper, then sear all sides of each shank in the Dutch oven, in batches, until brown. Remove the shanks from the Dutch oven and transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery to the Dutch oven and sauté for 3-4 mins. Next, add in the garlic and sauté for a further 3-4 mins or until the onions start to caramelize. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Next, add in the sage, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf and sauté for another minute or so.
- Add in the red wine and simmer until the liquid has dissolved, then add in the diced tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Next, add the shanks back to the pot, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and transfer to the oven. Cook the shanks for 2-2 ½ hours, or until very tender.
- Once done, remove the shanks from the Dutch oven and place each on a bed of creamy potato mash. Spoon some liquid over each shank and garnish with fresh thyme leaves. Enjoy!