Try going meat-free for dinner tonight with bowls of our new Lentil & Mushroom Bolognese 🍝 Packed with Mushrooms, Carrot, Onion and Celery from your local Fruit and Veg shop, the whole family will love this comforting dish.
- 1 brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 large field mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 410g can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 400g passata
- Dried pasta of your choice
- Parmesan, finely grated, to serve
- Fresh parsley leaves, chopped, to serve
- Heat 1 ½ tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion mixture and bay leaves to the pan and cook, stirring, for 6 mins or until soft. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining olive oil in the pan over a high heat. Cook the chopped mushrooms, stirring, for 3 mins or until soft.
- Stir onion mixture and lentils into the mushrooms. Next, stir through the diced tomatoes, stock and passata. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 45 mins or until the lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the lentils are cooking, cook pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente, then drain.
- To serve, divide the cooked pasta between serving bowls and top with the Bolognese. Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan and chopped parsley. Enjoy!