Frittatas are such a great breakfast meal and the perfect option for a “Breakfast in Bed” (no dry itching crumbs or sticky syrup to spill on the sheets). If you want to really impress, this frittata can be made in…
If you haven’t made waffles from scratch before, this Mother’s Day is the time to try. They are surprisingly easy to make; however, you will need a waffle iron to do so (if you don’t have one, perhaps this will be a great Mother’s day gift idea).
We have added a twist to this version of a waffle by adding mashed potato which adds a beautiful creamy texture. Serve these waffles straight a way while nice and hot with slices of ripe avocado, crispy bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup for a lovely sweet and savory flavour.
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into uniform small pieces.
- Add them to a large pot with cold water to cover, salt well, and bring to a boil on the stove. Once the water has hit a boil lower the heat and cook until potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork; drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of potato water.
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- While potatoes cook, heat the olive oil and chopped onion in a small fry pan over low heat just until onion softens.
- Pour oil and onion over drained potatoes.
- Add the milk to the still-warmed fry pan (just to take the chill off), then pour milk over the potatoes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes with oil and milk.
- Add 1/4 cup of the warm potato water, reserving the rest and continue to mash until mixture is smooth.
- Taste potatoes and season liberally with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Preheat waffle iron and finish batter by beating eggs into the potatoes with a whisk or handheld mixer.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder and fold into potato mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Lightly butter or spray waffle iron grids.
- Pour roughly ½ cup of batter at a time onto the hot iron, smoothing batter evenly almost to edge of grids.
- Close iron and bake until brown and crisp.
- Repeat with cooking your batter in the iron until all batter is used.
- Serve immediately while nice and hot with crispy bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup.