Beat the summertime heat with these deliciously refreshing crushes! Kids and adults alike are going to love them and best of all they are super healthy while tasting like a treat. In summer it is particularly important to keep your…
If you haven’t made waffles from scratch before, this Mother’s Day is the time to try. They are surprisingly easy to make; however, you will need a waffle iron to do so (if you don’t have one, perhaps this will be a great Mother’s day gift idea).
We have added a twist to this version of a waffle by adding mashed potato which adds a beautiful creamy texture. Serve these waffles straight a way while nice and hot with slices of ripe avocado, crispy bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup for a lovely sweet and savory flavour.
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into uniform small pieces.
- Add them to a large pot with cold water to cover, salt well, and bring to a boil on the stove. Once the water has hit a boil lower the heat and cook until potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork; drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of potato water.
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- While potatoes cook, heat the olive oil and chopped onion in a small fry pan over low heat just until onion softens.
- Pour oil and onion over drained potatoes.
- Add the milk to the still-warmed fry pan (just to take the chill off), then pour milk over the potatoes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes with oil and milk.
- Add 1/4 cup of the warm potato water, reserving the rest and continue to mash until mixture is smooth.
- Taste potatoes and season liberally with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Preheat waffle iron and finish batter by beating eggs into the potatoes with a whisk or handheld mixer.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder and fold into potato mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Lightly butter or spray waffle iron grids.
- Pour roughly ½ cup of batter at a time onto the hot iron, smoothing batter evenly almost to edge of grids.
- Close iron and bake until brown and crisp.
- Repeat with cooking your batter in the iron until all batter is used.
- Serve immediately while nice and hot with crispy bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup.