Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you can’t eat salad! This Pumpkin and Cranberry Quinoa Salad will be sure to satisfy on the chilliest of days!
The humble rockmelon (or ‘cantaloupe’ for those of you playing in Victoria) is one of those fruits that just doesn’t get the credit that it deserves. With it’s netted beige coloured skin and peach coloured flesh, the musky aroma and flavour lends itself to a variety of both sweet and savoury dishes. Fresh slices, fruit salad, juicing, or combine it with lean ham, prawns, smoked chicken, roast duck or prosciutto.
The perfect rockmelon will be heavy and firm in size. It should have a sweet, but not overpowering, smell. Make sure you remove the seeds, and once it has been cut or peeled wrap and store in the crisper for up to 3 days – although it can retain all of it’s nutrients for up to 6!
But what do you get when you combine the perfectly picked rockmelon with some of this season’s freshest produce? This tasty salad with tomato, cucumber, mint and feta! Not only is it simple to put together, but you can have it as a side dish or bulk it up with some leaves and add prosciutto for a nutritious meal.
- Wash all fresh ingredients.
- Cut rockmelon into small segments or cubes, removing seeds and skin.
- Slice cucumbers and tomatoes. Combine with salad leaves and mint on a serving platter or bowl.
- Add prosciutto and chopped figs.
- Sprinkle feta over the top.
- Mix your dressing ingredients in a bowl or dish. Drizzle over the top when ready to eat.
This super colourful salad will look festive sitting on the table at Christmas, and will be sure to impress your guests!