1 hr 10 mins
Happy Halloween! ? This Halloween is looking a little different to last year, but that’s no reason not to enjoy the spooky spirit. These delicious stuffed capsicums are sure to be a hit in your household!
- 4 capsicums
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 300g beef mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Mexican spice mix, to serve
- ½ cup cooked rice
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- ½ cup water
- Sour cream, to serve
- Guacamole, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C. Cut the tops off the capsicums and set them aside. Remove the seeds and any white flesh from the inside. Then use a small sharp knife to carve spooky faces into the sides. Set aside any offcuts.
- Place the capsicums in a deep roasting pan that will fit them fairly snug.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion for 5 mins or until softened. Add in the garlic and beef mince and cook until the mince is browned. Season with Mexican spices. Add a splash of water if the pan looks dry.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 min. Then add the rice, zucchini, carrot, capsicum offcuts and chicken stock. Stir, bring to a simmer, place a lid on and lower heat to medium low.
- Cook for 5-10 mins until the mixture has thickened slightly, then stir through the red onion.
- Spoon the filling into the capsicums and top with the cheese. Place the capsicum lids back on and pour ½ cup water into the pan.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake in the oven for 35 mins.
- Remove the foil and capsicum lids. Bake for a further 5 mins, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole if desired!