No Christmas is complete without a pavlova! Try our Cherry Compote Pavlova, we guarantee it’ll be a hit with the whole family!
Nothing says Christmas quite like a trifle! This delicious layered beauty heroes strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and serves 10-12, making it the perfect dessert for Christmas Day!
- To make the whipped cream, in a large bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in the vanilla and sugar until peaks form, but don’t over-beat the cream.
- To make the custard, whisk together the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a jug until well combined. In a saucepan, gently heat the milk and vanilla until warm, remove from the heat and add the milk to the egg mixture. Tip the mixture back into the saucepan and whisk consistently until boiling. Take the custard off the heat and whisk until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (see notes).
- Add half of the madeira cake pieces to a deep trifle dish.
- Top the cake pieces with enough custard to cover them.
- Top the custard with half of the strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
- Top the berries with enough whipped cream to cover them.
- Repeat steps 3-6 as many times as required to fill the trifle dish.
- To finish the trifle, top it with the additional berries.
- Refrigerate the trifle for around 2-3 hours, until ready to serve.
- More whipped cream and custard may be required depending on the size of your trifle dish. If you have a large trifle dish, we recommend doubling the recipe for whipped cream and custard.
- If the custard mixture isn’t thickening at step 2, gently heat it again until it thickens more.