1 hour 30 mins
Eggplant in a lasagna? Yep, it works and it’s oh so good ? Featuring fresh spinach, mushrooms and of course eggplant, this vegetarian friendly dish will win the hearts of everyone who is lucky enough to get a slice!
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise (approx. ¾ inch thick)
- 3 ½ tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 450g button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 650g passata
- 425g ricotta cheese
- 450g spinach, wilted
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line two trays with baking paper. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Arrange the sliced eggplant in a single layer on the two trays. Brush 2 ½ tbsp of the olive oil over both sides of all the eggplant slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then place in the oven.
- Roast the eggplant until the slices are soft and golden, for around 25 mins, flipping the slices over, and swapping the position of the pans halfway through. Remove the trays from the oven, then reduce the oven temperature to 180C.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat the remaining ½ tbsp of olive oil over a medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, and sauté until the mushrooms are soft, around 7 mins.
- Then add the minced garlic, ½ tsp salt, and oregano. Cook for a further 2 mins, then remove the pan from the heat. Add the passata to the pan and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, add the ricotta, ¼ cup grated parmesan, egg, and season with salt and pepper. Stir, until the mixture is well combined.
- Stir in the spinach, using a fork to distribute it as evenly as possible.
- Spoon half of the mushroom tomato sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish and spread it in an even layer.
- Lay four eggplant slices on top, followed by all the ricotta mixture. Place another four slices of eggplant on top, and then add the remaining mushroom tomato sauce on top.
- Sprinkle over the mozzarella and remaining ¼ cup parmesan. Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 mins, until the cheese is melted, and the lasagna is hot.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and sprinkle with fresh herbs. Allow to rest for 5-10 mins before serving.