Spinachy, cheesy goodness wrapped up in golden brown filo pastry… mmm mmm! These moreish parcels are our brand new spanakopita and wow are they good. They’re great for lunch, and equally as great as a snack or starter!
Head to your local fruit and veg shop to pick up some spinach!
- Preheat oven on 180C. Line a large tray with baking paper. In a large saucepan, sauté the brown onion and olive oil over a medium heat for a few mins, until translucent.
- Add in the spinach, spring onion, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic, and nutmeg. Stir to combine and cook for a couple of mins, until all ingredients are soft.
- Stir in the feta, cooking for another minute or so, until the feta has softened and is beginning to melt.
- Transfer mixture into a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool. Stir through the egg, then set aside.
- Place one sheet of filo pastry onto a clean, dry surface. Brush pastry with a little olive oil, then cover with a second sheet of pastry, brushing with more oil. Top with a third sheet of pastry, then cut into 3 long strips.
- Add a bit of filling to the bottom of each pastry strip. Lightly brush the rest of the pastry strip with some olive oil so that it sticks when folded.
- Take the bottom right corner and fold it up towards the left, making a triangular shape at the bottom of the strip. Fold the bottom left corner towards the right side. Continue this folding pattern until you get to the end of the pastry. Use a little bit of olive oil to seal the end if necessary. Place the folded triangle onto the lined tray.
- Repeat until you have used all the filling and filo pastry sheets.
- Brush each triangle with a little more olive oil, then bake in the oven for 25-30 mins, or until the spanakopita are golden brown. Serve straight away.