These delectable Indian fritters are a true delight for the taste buds. Thinly sliced onions, generously spiced and enveloped in a chickpea flour batter, are fried to perfection until golden and crispy. Pairing them with cucumber raita, a refreshing dip…
The parsnips caramelise and the pastry remains very crisp when cooked and served upside down.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Heat the butter and oil, add onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Slice parsnips lengthways, add to butter and cook 5 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in sugar and balsamic and simmer 8 minutes.
- Arrange parsnips in the bottom of a spring-form pan and spoon over onions and juices. Cut a circle of pastry a little larger than the pan. Place over parsnips and tuck in edges to make a snug fit.
- Bake 25 minutes until well puffed crisp and golden. Turn out onto a plate, slice into wedges and serve topped with cumin butter made by beating softened butter and cumin together.