Looking for a muffin recipe that is as unique, lovely and wonderful as your mum this Mother’s Day? Well look no further, this is the recipe for you. Light, moist and popping with a zesty flavour, these muffins are the…
Spoil your Mum this Sunday with this Red Beet Cake with the sweet addition of White chocolate.
If time allows make this cake on the Saturday and allow to stand overnight for the rich, sweet and earthy flavours of the beetroot to develop. This way you will then also have more time on Mother’s Day to celebrate all things Mum! All you will then need to do before serving is lather on the cream cheese frosting which is paired perfectly with this cake. Enjoy!
- 1 ¾ Cup Plain unbleached flour, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs; Large
- 1 Cup Macadamia nut oil
- 1 ½ Cup Beetroot, pureed*
- 100 grams White chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 100 grams Butter, softened
- 200 grams Cream cheese
- 400 grams Icing sugar
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Lemon juice freshly squeezed (to taste)
* You will need to boil fresh peeled beets ahead of time, enough to make 1 ½ cups of puree (approx. 4 large beets). Ensure the beets are cooled to room temperature before adding them to cake mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine the sugar, eggs, and oil in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer set at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Beat in the pureed beets, cooled chocolate, and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased cake pan and bake in a preheated 180 degree C. oven for 25 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Cover and let stand overnight to improve flavour and then ice with cream cheese frosting.
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Blend softened cheese and butter with an electric mixer.
- Blend and whip in the sugar and lemon juice until a smooth consistency.