Kiddos begging for nuggies but want to slide in something healthy? Our quick and easy veggie nuggets will do the trick!
Sick of having food that you are have worked hard in preparing come back stale or soggy in your child’s lunchbox? These Zucchini corn cakes are sure to be gobbled up leaving a very satisfying empty lunch box to return home from school.
Feel free to make these zucchini corn cakes ahead of time to use for quick to pack lunch boxes during the week. They will last a couple of days when stored in an airtight container, they will also freeze well for several weeks. You will also find these zucchini and corn cakes can also make a really versatile meal, for an easy weeknight meal you could serve with a little sour cream, avocado and freshly made salsa. Enjoy!
- In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, soda, ground cumin, salt and pepper.
- Using large holes on a grater, grate the zucchini to make 3/4 cup (packed). Squeeze with your hands to extract excess moisture.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix the egg, buttermilk, oil, zucchini, corn and spring onion.
- Pour the wet mixture into dry ingredients and stir until evenly moistened.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Grease lightly with butter.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter onto fry pan for each cake, spreading batter to make 3 inch cakes. Cook until tiny bubbles form in the centres and edges of cakes appear dry; turn and cook other sides until browned and cakes puff slightly.
- Serve 2 or 3 cakes per person.
* For a gluten free option substitute the spelt flour for buckwheat flour.