The weather is cold, but the meals are hot. Our hearty Mushroom Ragout with Creamy Polenta is sure to delight your household, and will have everyone coming back for seconds!
Spring is such an abundant time for produce, and there’s nothing that reflects the season better than green vegetables. Asparagus, peas, beans, leafy greens and herbs are all at their best so use them in abundance!
- 1L Reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, ½ diced, ½ finely shaved
- 4 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup arborio rice
- ½ Cup dry white wine
- Pinch of salt
- 2 bunches of asparagus, cut into thirds
- 2 Cups snow peas
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 50g fetta, crumbled
- ¼ bunch basil, leaves picked and torn
- ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Warm stock in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion and diced fennel for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook a further 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in rice and toast for one minute. Add wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add hot stock, a ladleful at a time, waiting for each addition of stock to be absorbed before adding the next. This process will take about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. If you run out of stock and the rice needs a little more cooking use more stock or hot water. Add asparagus in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Add in peas in the last minute of cooking.
- Once the rice is al dente (soft but still with a little bite), stir through lemon zest and juice. Divide risotto between serving bowls and top with shaved fennel, feta, basil and hazelnuts.
You can follow Callum on Instagram at callums-kitchen