Looking for a healthy side dish? We have you covered with this delicious cauliflower and couscous salad. Popping with gorgeous colours this salad is perfect to serve at your next dinner party. The hero ingredient in this dish is the…
A diet rich in high fibre foods such as fresh seasonal fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes and wholegrains is your best defence against heart disease.
Dark leafy greens such as kale are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. In particular leafy greens are bursting with vitamin K, a vitamin that promotes heart health by protecting your arteries as well as promoting proper blood clotting.
Beans are also another great source of fibre, a nutrient that is essential for maintaining overall health. Along with being high in many vitamins and minerals, they are also high in resistant starch which can help reduce levels of blood triglycerides, lower blood pressure, lower the levels of “bad” cholesterol and even decrease inflammation, all of which are significant risk factors of heart disease.
- 3 Cup Kale leaves, removed from spine and leaves torn
- ½ Cup Canned lentils, drained and rinsed
- ½ Cup Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 sml Red onion, peeled and diced
- ½ Cup Pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise, (preferably made on grapeseed or light olive oil)
- 1/2 Cup Plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- Add all salad ingredients to a bowl and lightly toss together.
- In a small bowl mix together the dressing ingredients well. Drizzle over the salad and toss together again.
- Serve immediately.