Carrot, pumpkin, potato, cauliflower… there’s so many comforting veggies in this dish! Our Lentil Dal is the ultimate comfort dish to combat the cool weather. Pick up all the fresh produce from your local fruit and veg shop, it’s a better choice!
- 1 cup split chickpeas
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp each of fennel seeds, mustard seeds and coriander seeds
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 white potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup pumpkin, diced
- ¼ cup split red lentils
- 400g light coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground chilli
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 300ml water
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Cooked white rice, to serve
- Thoroughly rinse the split chickpeas, then drain. Soak chickpeas in a bowl with enough cold water to cover them. Soak for at least 4-5 hours, ideally overnight.
- Heat olive oil in a deep saucepan or pot (with a 2-3L capacity) over a medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, onion, fennel seeds, mustard seeds and coriander seeds to the pan and sauté for a few mins, until the onion starts caramelizing.
- Add the carrot, potato, cauliflower, zucchini and pumpkin. Reduce heat to a medium low heat and cook for around 6-8 mins until the vegetables are turning a shade darker.
- Add the soaked chickpeas to the pot, along with the soaking water, stirring well.
- Then add the split red lentils, coconut milk, spices, salt and water, stirring to combine. Increase the heat to medium, then cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for a further 15-20 mins. If starting to thicken, add some water, then reduce the heat slightly and continue simmering until the vegetables and chickpeas are cooked.
- To serve, garnish the dal with freshly chopped coriander on a bed of steamed rice.