The weather is cold, but the meals are hot. Our hearty Mushroom Ragout with Creamy Polenta is sure to delight your household, and will have everyone coming back for seconds!
Lasagna but not as you know it ?
This is our Turkey & Mushroom Lasagna. Turkey mince is a great source of protein and it’s also lower in fat than traditional beef mince. Paired with Mushrooms and a Spinach and cottage cheese sauce, there’s so much to love about this dish!
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 500g turkey mince
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 500g cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 fresh lasagna sheets
- 1 tbsp parmesan, finely grated
- Baby rocket, to serve
- 500g cottage cheese
- 250g spinach
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring often, for 6-7 mins or until the veg is soft. Add the oregano and half the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 min or until fragrant.
- Next, add the turkey mince and cook for 4-5 mins or until browned. Note: Use a wooden spoon to break up any lumps as you go.
- Add the white wine and simmer until it has almost all evaporated. Next, add the tomato paste and stir for 1 min before adding the diced tomatoes and water. Bring mixture to the boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 mins until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tsp olive oil in a large fry pan over a high heat. Cook the mushrooms, stirring, until golden. Note: You may need to cook the mushrooms in batches.
- Next, add the remaining garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 min or until fragrant. Once done, switch off the heat and set mince mixture aside.
- For the spinach and cheese sauce, first you’ll need to wilt the spinach. In a fry pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil. Add the spinach in and cook, stirring, until it has wilted. Next, place the cottage cheese, spinach, milk, and egg in a large bowl, stirring until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 160C fan forced, and lightly spray a 2L baking dish with oil.
- Spread half the mince mixture over the base of the baking dish, then top with half of the mushrooms and half of the spinach and cheese sauce. Place a layer of lasagna sheets on top, cutting them to fit if necessary. Top with the remaining mince, mushroom mixture, and lasagna sheets. Finally, spoon over the remaining spinach and cheese sauce, then sprinkle over the grated parmesan.
- Bake lasagna in the oven for 35-40 mins or until golden and bubbling. Set aside for 10 mins to rest before slicing. Serve with a side of fresh rocket.