Have you tried a custard apple before? This fruit surprisingly tastes like custard and mimics the texture.
Fact: Fresh passionfruit makes dessert taste better! The proof is our Vanilla & Passionfruit Slice. If you’re looking for a sweet dish to impress guests of all ages, this is the one!
- PASSIONFRUIT CURD
- 125g chilled butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh passionfruit pulp
- 4 egg yolks
- VANILLA SLICE
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ cups thickened cream
- 60g unsalted butter, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 20g unsalted butter, melted
- Pulp of 3 passionfruit
- To make the passionfruit curd, combine the butter, sugar, passionfruit and egg yolks in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 10-15 mins or until the mixture thickens. Transfer to a jar and place in the fridge to chill.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Place each piece of pastry on one of the lined trays, placing another layer of baking paper on top and weighing it down with another baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins or until pastry is crisp and golden. Allow pastry to cool on a rack.
- Heat a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Place the milk, cream, butter, vanilla and sugar in the saucepan and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a very soft boil, then remove from heat.
- Whisk together the cornflour and egg yolks in a large bowl, then gradually add in the hot milk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and cook over a medium to high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir through the passionfruit curd.
- Line a 22cm square cake pan with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang on all sides. Note: You may need to put two sheets of baking paper together.
- Trim the pastry sheets slightly (if necessary) to fit snugly in the pan.
- Place one pastry sheet on the base, then pour in the warm custard mixture. Top with the other pastry sheet, pressing down gently.
- Allow the slice to chill in the fridge for around 4 hours, or until set.
- To make the passionfruit icing, place the icing sugar and butter in a bowl, stirring in the passionfruit pulp until combined.
- Spread the icing over the chilled slice and allow it to chill for 30 mins or until set.
- Once set, lift the slice out of the pan and slice into even square pieces. Enjoy!