These delectable Indian fritters are a true delight for the taste buds. Thinly sliced onions, generously spiced and enveloped in a chickpea flour batter, are fried to perfection until golden and crispy. Pairing them with cucumber raita, a refreshing dip…
Thanks to bright, Mediterranean-inspired flavours, this tender roasted artichoke recipe makes for a unique appetizer or side dish.
- 3 large globe artichokes
- 3 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Crumbled feta cheese to taste
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- Same 6 roasted garlic cloves
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- To clean the artichokes, cut off the stem. Peel off the tough outer layers. When you reach the softer layers, use a serrated knife to cut off ¾ inches from the top. Now, slice the artichoke in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove the fuzzy choke on the inside.
- As you clean the inside of each artichoke half, immediately add ½ tsp of lemon juice to cover the surface. This prevents the artichoke from discolouring.
- On the baking tray, place each artichoke half in a piece of lightly oiled aluminium foil that is large enough to wrap around the artichoke.
- Season the artichokes with salt and pepper. Nestle a garlic clove in the centre of each artichoke half. Generously drizzle over olive oil, then close the foil around the artichokes.
- Roast in the oven for around 40 mins.
- When done, remove the tray from the oven and carefully open the foil pouches using tongs. Remove the roasted garlic from the centre of each artichoke half. Close the foil pieces back over the artichoke until ready to serve. Allow the roasted garlic to cool.
- In a small food processor, add the roasted garlic with the other vinaigrette ingredients. Pulse until smooth.
- When ready to serve, remove the artichokes from the foil. Arrange them on a large serving platter, then drizzle over the roasted garlic-dill vinaigrette. Top with the red onion, and crumbled feta cheese. Enjoy!